Thank you for your interest as a Cook Team in the 2024 Fairhope Rotary Steak Cook-off, also known as “Fairhope’s Premier Street Party!” With annual attendance projected at over 3,000, your participation exposes your organization in a positive light and gives you “bragging rights” as a participant. ALL Cook Teams will compete for the Steak Cook-Off Grand Champion, People’s Choice Award, Rotary Club Hospitality Award, and Best Decorated Booth Award. The People’s Choice Award winner is selected by votes of the crowd and is subject to the whims of the crowd. Teams are encouraged to be creative in making their team stand out beyond just a great steak. The Grand Champion Award will be judged on measures of taste, and appearance – no garnishes. Representatives from the Memphis BBQ Network will oversee the Grand Champion judging. EACH TEAM MUST PROVIDE A SIGNED COPY OF THIS AGREEMENT WITH THEIR CHECK TO PARTICIPATE. Please retain a copy of this document for your reference.
Each team will receive special recognition at the event as well as in post-event ads and other Fairhope Rotary Club communications. The winning People’s Choice Team will receive a 1-year loan of the perpetual trophy. The trophy is suitable for display at a place of business and for photo opportunities in trade publications and company newsletters. The Grand Champion Team will receive a special trophy and will be the ultimate winner of the Steak Cook-off. The Cook Team Entry fee is $650 per team (Early Bird $500) which includes meat and admission wristbands for six (6) team members. Four (4) additional team bands may be purchased for $75 each (Early Bird $50). The maximum number of team members allowed for early admittance is 10. The number of Cook Teams is LIMITED. Entry fee must be paid in advance on first come basis. No refunds.
Checks and completed application can be e/mailed to:
Fairhope Rotary Steak
P O Box 741
Fairhope, AL 36533
To ensure quality service to every attendee, every cook team agrees to abide by the following rules:
1) Entry fee MUST be “paid in full” IN ADVANCE – prior to April 30, 2024 – no check, no meat, no exceptions! No refunds for no shows.
2) Additional team members MUST purchase bands with a maximum of 4 additional team members. Cook teams will only be allowed 10 total early entries.
3) The MANDATORY “Team Leaders Meeting” (and Packet pick-up) will be held before the event – Thursday, May 2, 2024. We will email teams regarding meeting details.
4) Meat is provided by Fairhope Rotary Club. For further details of the steak please see #8. Marinades and any extras are your responsibility. For further details see #14.
5) Site entry for teams and grilling equipment on the day of event will be done via a staging area. Teams will NOT drive directly to the event on Bancroft Street. Staging will begin at designated time slots given to you prior to event day. Staging will be located at S. Summit St. behind the old K1 School. Each team will be given a row to line up in labeled A, B, or C. All teams must be in place on Bancroft Street by 6pm. Only Sponsorship teams will be allowed to stage early and allowed into event early.
6) Rotary will provide an assigned space. You may choose your tent location, this will be available at extra cost of $200.00 and will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis at the sole discretion of Rotary.
7) You will get a $50 discount for every new team you refer to the event. The new team must not have competed in our event in the last 5 years. Please help make this the largest year ever!!
8) Included as part of your team registration, Rotary will provide standardized portions of whole prime rib eye steaks to each team 24 hours in advance. Teams MAY purchase additional meat directly from Fairhope Rotary’s Designated Vendor, Piggly Wiggly Fairhope, and shall use only USDA Prime or Angus certified meat from this vendor. ONLY THE STEAK PROVIDED BY OUR PREFERRED VENDOR, PIGGLY WIGGLY, MAY BE SERVED TO THE PUBLIC AND OUR PROFESSIONAL JUDGES. NO EXCEPTIONS! Violation of this rule will result
in disqualification and further action determined by Fairhope Rotary. Teams are responsible for refrigerating the meat at a temperature of 45°F or below and for storing the meat in a sanitary container(s) at all times prior to cooking. All meat should be cooked to proper internal temperatures (140°F or greater) prior to service. Warming pans may be utilized to maintain minimum internal holding temperature awaiting service after cooking. Ice shall not come in direct contact with foods and ice used shall not be reused for beverage service. TEAMS WILL NEED one or more large clean and sanitized ice chest(s) or cooler(s) when they pick-up their meat at the team meeting.
9) Fairhope Rotary will provide one banquet table per team. Teams must bring table coverings, and any extra tables needed. Many teams bring at least one or two additional tables to allow for prep space and/or additional display space and to cordon off their grill space for safety. (Spaces are approximately 10’ X 35’.) Spaces have been extended 10 ft. (approximately 10’ x 35’) for no additional charge. This is at the sole discretion of Fairhope Rotary and some spaces will be approximately 10’ x 35’.
10) Each Team must provide at least one sign or banner identifying your organization or business with the name in a minimum of 3″ letters. Many teams use the sign to list team members or the business’ principals, logos or prior wins in this event.
11) Each Team shall designate one member as team leader who shall be responsible for compliance with all rules and conditions as well as full compliance with directives of event officials. Event officials reserve the right to make any necessary changes and there shall be no right to appeal.
12) Teams are allowed to use CHARCOAL or WOOD FIRES ONLY! NO PROPANE BBQs are allowed by the City of Fairhope. All grills shall be cleaned prior to use.
13) Teams shall ensure that all charcoal, ash, oils and garbage debris is cleaned up immediately after the event. Please bring trash bags for cleanup. NO DUMPING of grease or charcoal on sidewalks or street. Please take garbage to designated garbage cans provided by city.
14) Teams must provide their own food grade marinade, rubs or seasoning. Teams must maintain clean and sanitary conditions including appropriate refrigeration of all food items. Many teams arrange in advance with local food vendors for preparation and commercial refrigeration until the event. All food preparation, cooking, utensil washing, etc. must be done in a food safe manner and generally in a commercial kitchen except the onsite grilling. ALL STEAK PROVIDED BY OUR PREFERRED VENDOR MUST BE USED IN ITS ENTIRETY FOR THE EVENT. NO OUTSIDE STEAK ALLOWED.
15) Teams must provide sanitary commercial cutting boards, knives and other utensils of restaurant quality.
16) Minimum portion size approximately 1″+ cube containing limited fat and no gristle or tough membrane.
17) Each team SHALL provide a) minimum 2.5lb fire extinguisher; b) any needed lighting with properly shielded bulbs and c) suitable extension cords which shall be secured with tape or mats to protect attendees from cords. Fairhope Rotary provides general task lighting via light towers.
18) Each team SHALL maintain clean and sanitary conditions to prevent cross contamination. All hard surfaces shall be wiped with wiping cloth and bucket of sanitizer solution of between 100-200 ppm chlorine (one capful of bleach to one gal water and tested with commercial test strips). Any food handling shall be limited
to the team members who SHALL wash hands with running water and soap and dried with disposable towels prior to ANY food handling activity. Rotary will provide Porta Potties together with soap and water hand washing stations in common areas at the event. In addition, disposable food grade gloves shall be worn by all servers. (Gloves or the use of sanitizer gels do NOT substitute for the hand washing requirements.) To ensure sanitary conditions, Teams shall not permit smoking, drinking or eating inside the confines of the booth. Appropriate clean clothing, aprons, hats and/or hair bonnets and disposable gloves shall be used when handling food. It is your responsibility to comply with health and safety regulations. Any other foods (toppings, sausage, etc.) used shall be restaurant quality and so handled.
19) Cook teams SHALL NOT DISTRIBUTE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT THE EVENT.
20) We hereby waive all claims and hold harmless Fairhope Rotary Club officers, members, and volunteers from any and all claims or legal actions which might arise out of this event.
21) No amplified sound or offensive conduct will be permitted.
22) Decisions of the judges in all categories are final with no right of appeal.
23) The event will be held “rain or shine” on Saturday, May 11, 2024. The rain location is the Fairhope Civic Center. The Team Leader will be contacted if weather conditions are unfavorable and require moving the event. Cook teams may not be able to use large grill trailers at the Civic Center if space is limited. Team space availability is limited and will be assigned on a first paid, first serve basis.
POTENTIAL FOR FOOD-BORNE ILLNESS NOTICE
Statistically, the following factors contribute to possible food-borne illness and should be closely monitored by the Cook Team Leader, chef, and/or the Cook Team’s onsite designee:
•Food out of temperature (cold food must be at 45°F or less; hot food must be 140°F or higher)
•Poor food handling practices
•Insufficient protection of food from contamination
•Insufficient cold or hot holding equipment or inadequate equipment to sustain required temps.
•Inadequate hand washing and contamination by workers or other source.
•Unapproved source of food – no wild game for example.
New SATURDAY DATE!!!!
• Special Team Reception May 2, 2024 Special Team Gift *must come to Reception to receive.
•Preferred Location option for $200
•Extra space (10’ ft) given to everyone at no cost. Total Space 35 feet.
• Early bird pricing for teams. $500 from 8/1/2023 – 1/31/24. Extra team member $50
•Team Referral Discount. You may receive a $50 discount on the team price if you refer a new team to the event.
•Streets will be opened for setup at 1:00 PM for Sponsors then 2-5 for all teams. (Details on times given before event)
•Returning “Fun” Award! Best Side Item! You guys are creative! Bring a delicious side and let us judge. *optional
• Email Applications to: ChadClark@cbenterprise.net and Cc Elizabeth.Stone@FirstHorizon.com
2023 COOK TEAM APPLICATION:
"*" indicates required fields